Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mama’s little helper

So I had this post all typed up, but just waiting to add the pictures, and then my computer restarted and apparently it wasn’t saved. Let’s try again…

While I was making dinner the other night, Shayla decided she wanted to “help” me. This is about how it went:

  1. Shayla pushes chair over to the counter, and narrowly misses my toes, but still clearly invading my personal space. She climbs up.
  2. She proceeds to eat the whole tomato that I had already chopped up (minus just a couple pieces), and a little bit of celery.
  3. She pushes the chair over to right in front of the exact burner that I am trying to work on. She climbs up. She pulls the spatula out of the pan and starts to lick it. “That’s amazing!” she says. Mind you, it was pretty much just butter and flour at this point. Not so sure how it tasted so amazing, but whatever.
  4. She decided to put said spatula back into the pan to stir it with.
  5. Then she sneezes. Right. over. the. pan. We are still working on the whole '”cover your mouth” thing.

I was pretty much finished with dinner. I took the food off the stove, and we were just waiting for David to get home. Chatty neighbor comes to the door. When she is done talking, I go back into the kitchen and find this:

2012-06-12 Shayla helping me cook 002

2012-06-12 Someone has obviously been sampling dinner2012-06-12 Shayla helping me cook 003

Say “cheese!”2012-06-12 Shayla helping me cook 005

This picture actually reminds me a lot of myself from pictures of when I was her age.2012-06-12 Shayla helping me cook 008 

At least she actually ate it all without complaint. And if you’re looking for a recipe for Hawaiian Haystacks without cream of chicken soup, here you are. I used tapioca flour instead of white flour because we’re trying to be cool like that.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/02/hawaiian-haystacks-chicken-sauce-reinvented.html

A couple of other little things about Shayla lately:

  • She repeats everything we say. David was downstairs and I was up, and we were hollering back and forth to each other. She was downstairs with David, and repeating/yelling everything he was saying to me.
  • She always grabs my hand and says “Hold my hand. Come on.” Sometimes she isn’t really sure where she wants to take me. Sometimes she is trying to get me to do something, and sometimes she just wants to hold my hand to walk into the other room with me
  • I got her a Leap Frog Jr. for our roadtrip coming up, and she loves it. She is always asking to play with her “Frog Yeap.” I don’t know why she always reverses the words.
  • I have some old body glitter and she loves me to put it on her. She calls it her “Farkles.”
  • Her diaper came off as she was coming downstairs. She freaked out and then came in and told me: “My diaper supid.” I have caught her calling things stupid several times recently. I didn’t think I said that word that much. Oops.
  • Today we were running an errand, and Shayla kept saying, “let’s go pick up the girls.” It made me laugh because if I didn’t know where that thought came from, it might make me think David was up to no good. :) A couple weeks ago, I took the kids with me to give some of the girls rides to YW’s. It was only a one time occurrence, and like I said, a couple weeks ago. I am not sure how she was reminded of that all of the sudden.

She is a funny girl, and sure is coming up with a lot of funny things lately.

1 comment:

Ali Snow said...

Shayla's hair is getting so long. Sounds like she's doing everything a 2 year old is supposed to do. See you next week!