Friday, July 8, 2011

What a big girl!

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted Shayla’s latest accomplishments. The last few months have been full of learning new things. Her language has exploded. We finally caved and bought Baby Signing Time and she loves it. That’s all she wants to do anymore. When she sees the TV, she makes the sign for “baby” and a made up sign that means “signing time.” If I tell her no, she throws a fit. She was already starting to speak more, and copy words that we said, but the BST has helped teach her even more new words. She is so proud of herself that she can sign them. Here are some of her new words (I add them as I remember them. Since I am so bad at keeping a journal, this is where it’s getting recorded):

  • cookie. This is her favorite and makes me laugh everytime because she says it in a Cookie Monster voice.
  • hat (with the sign)
  • grandpa (with the sign)
  • car (with the sign)
  • ball (she signs it but not right). She LOVES her ball, and loves to point out pictures of balls
  • owie (with the sign)
  • cracker (with the sign)
  • up
  • go
  • down
  • Elmo
  • Grover
  • She can sign banana but doesn’t really say it
  • She can sign cereal, but doesn’t really say it
  • Juice (with the sign)
  • Cheese. One of her all time favorite foods, next to cookies and crackers. We don’t know the sign for this yet.
  • Apple. No sign yet.
  • All done. She mostly just signs this one, but is starting to say it too.
  • She can sign please. Sometimes she’ll say it (but only if I ask her to of course!)
  • Thank you (with the sign)
  • happy
  • where are you (waa—ooo)
  • I don’t know (i no know)
  • what did you do? (do-oo?)
  • two, three (two, twee…hasn’t learned to say one yet)

There are a whole lot of other words that she’ll repeat once or twice after hearing us say it, but aren’t a regular part of her vocabulary yet.

She also knows a lot of animal sounds:

  • owl (hoo)
  • lion, tiger, bear, dinosaur (roar!)
  • cow (doo) She used to say it with an “m.'” Don’t know what happened.
  • dog (ruff, ruff)
  • cat (mnow)
  • monkey (my favorite because she scratches her underarms and says “ooh ah”)
  • rabbit (hop hop)

She has known most of her body parts for quite awhile now. She will also say some of them as well.

I think she is in for a bit of a shock with a new baby coming. She loves babies, and I think she will love it, but she will also have a hard time not always being the center of attention. When we ask her where the baby is, she lifts up my shirt, pats my tummy and kisses it. Hopefully that’s a good sign.

 

Now on to the pictures…

This is the first time I put her hair in a ponytail. As you can see, it was impossible to get a decent photo. (5-26-11)

100_4024 100_4025 100_4029 100_4031

 

Shayla has also decided she likes to “color” and began this new endeavor by tattooing herself. I hope this doesn’t become a habit. (4-17-11)

100_3791

 

She loves to put things around her neck. Somehow she managed to tie this shoelace in a knot and get completely tangled up in it. (4-7-11)100_3784 100_3786

Don’t you just want to smother that little face with kisses??? (Only because she’s sleeping right now and not screaming and throwing a tantrum).

 

Ready to go swimming for the first time this year. Unfortunately the swimsuit was a little small, but we made do. :) (4-23-11)100_3793

 

She found daddy’s scripture marker (5-23-11)

100_3842 100_3845

 

We went camping for the 4th of July weekend, and of course Shayla loved playing outside and getting dirty. I’ll try to post photos in the next couple of days.

No comments: