It’s been awhile since I’ve updated. Excuses I know, but it takes so much effort to upload all the pictures and video, label them, and then write a post. Plus, there really hasn’t been all that much going on here. I’ll try to make this interesting. :)
We finally got Shayla’s big girl bed finished, and we’ve moved her into her new room. I will get pictures of her room up once I get things on the walls. I have been quite surprised at how well she did with the transition. One night she started crying in the middle of the night, and somehow she had gotten out of bed, and couldn’t get back in because it is too tall. We have a rail on, so I don’t think she fell off, unless perhaps it was like this:
Even though she knows how to get out of bed, she will stay in bed and play in the mornings or after a nap until I come to get her out. Usually, as soon as I open the door up, she climbs right out. I’m not sure how much longer that will last, but it is nice that she’s not constantly getting out of bed. Unfortunately, though, the naps are starting to get fewer and farer (word?) between. She’ll go several days in a row where she’ll play in her bed and not take a nap. Then for the next couple of days she will nap. There’s really no telling whether or not she’s going to sleep. Even though she stays in bed during that time, it is really starting to disrupt my “Mommy time.” It stresses me out when I can hear her playing and know that she’s not sleeping.
She is really speaking in a lot of full sentences now. Has been for awhile, but she’s mostly figured out her pronouns. She says “me” and “I” when she’s talking about herself, although she still speaks in the third person too. Yesterday I was eating lunch, and she climbed up on the chair behind me. She started touching my hair, and she says “you have nice hair.” Then she said “I yuv you mommy.” Aww. After dropping her fork on the ground for the umpteenth time during dinner, she told me, “I did it on purpose.” David told her the other day that he was frustrated with her because she would not come upstairs to get ready for bed. So now she is constantly asking us, “Mommy mad? Mommy frustwated?” We got mangoes in our Bountiful Baskets a few weeks ago. She loved them, and she kept asking for more “fla-mango.” It didn’t matter how many times I corrected her, it was still flamango.
There are a lot of words that she can say correctly, but she gets lazy and pronounces them wrong unless we correct her. We had muffins recently and she kept calling them “muppins” (maybe because we’ve been watching Muppets?). I have her say the “f” sound, and then say muffin. She says “fff-muppin.” But a spoon she pronounces “foon.” I can’t get her to say the “sp” sound. She knows all her letter sounds (except she always wants to pronounce “g” like “j.” I’ve been trying to teach her how to figure out what letter words start with, but it seems to be a little advanced for her yet. She was getting a few the other day, but most of the time it’s a struggle. She’ll say “a-a-apple, a-a-ant, then a-a-car” Not quite. :)
A few weeks ago, I told Shayla we were going to have grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. I went and did something else first, and I came back and found this on the stove.
It’s two pieces of bread with cheese on top. She even brought her little spatula. I was surprised she was able to put all that together, and it certainly made me giggle when I found it. (3-30-12)
I posted this on Facebook today, but David took Shayla up for her nap this afternoon. Awhile went by and he didn’t come back downstairs. I assumed he had went to bed to take a nap. But then I could hear Shayla reading in her room, and it didn’t sound like David was reading with her, so I went to see what she was doing. This is what I found:
4-22-2012Shayla said to me “Shhh, Daddy sleeping!” He stayed asleep while I ran downstairs to get the camera, and slept through the picture taking. He must have also slept through her going in my room and getting into my make-up, because later when I got her up from her nap, she had eyeliner all over her belly, and she didn’t before. She was pretty sneaky about it too, because she put it all back into my drawer like she was trying to clean up the evidence. That was the first time she had gotten into my make-up, so it really wasn’t too bad. At least it wasn’t mascara everywhere.
One more little story I just remembered. When I’m getting ready in the morning I bring Easton’s activity mat into our bath area and lay it on the floor for him. It often gets left there. Well, later that day, Shayla comes in and starts freaking out that we need to “pick up Eas-son’s toy!” She would not let it rest until I moved it out of the way. Funny coming from the 2 yr old that dumps all of her toys all over the house and refuses to clean them up.
Easton has been his usual happy little self. We started putting him in the jumperoo recently, and he figured it out within a couple minutes. The boy loves to jump. He can stay in there happily for quite some time. It also helps that there’s lots of little toys on there for him to play with. I think sometimes he starts to get tired, but as soon as I look at him and start talking to him, he smiles real big and starts jumping again. He likes to show off for his mommy.
I was trying to get a picture of Easton grabbing both of his feet. If he is laying on his back, he is almost always holding his feet. I just think it is so cute when they do this. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t hold still long enough for our slow camera to actually take a decent photo.
Can you tell he has an older sister who not only dresses him up (and tries to feed him all of her play food), but also gave him that lovely cold that resulted in the runny nose?
Easton loves this little toy on his bumbo. He can spin it around and around, but mostly he likes to suck on it. Unfortunately, he’s gotten to the point now where he just rips it off and pretty soon he drops it on the ground. You can also see in this picture, he’s got eczema on his arm. It was really bad for a couple days, but mostly he just always has real dry skin. I’m not very good at lathering him up all the time. Shayla was this way too, and luckily she seems to have grown out of it for the most part.
When we took Easton in for his 4 month appointment a couple weeks ago, he had only gained about a pound, so the doctor said to check my milk supply. Nothing to be super concerned about, but to make sure he was getting enough. Well, come to find out, he’s probably been getting an ounce or two less than what he is supposed to each feeding. I suspected this would happen, since it happened with Shayla as well, but it was earlier this time. We tried to give Easton some formula, and he would not have it. He would hold it in his mouth, gag, and then let it drip out. I know it wasn’t the bottle, because he’s had bottles before with no problem. I finally started pumping and mixing it with breastmilk, and he eventually started taking it. We’ve given him bottles of straight formula and he seems to be okay with it now. I am not sure how much longer I’m going to keep doing both. It’s a pain having to pump all the time. I was hoping to make it to 6 months, but I’m not sure I can keep it up that long. He’ll be ok. Formula is expensive though.
Watching TV with Daddy (3-30-12)
It’s a few weeks late, but I’ll get Easter pics up next. We also took Easton swimming for the first time yesterday. That’s coming up soon as well. For your farewell picture: Easton was happily jumping today when I found him like this.
Now look a little closer at his leg… Aww, the joys of being a parent.
1 comment:
Hannah transitioned to a big girl bed really well too. We were so surprised. She also will just sit in bed and wait for us to get her in the morning/after naps. Sometimes I find her asleep on the floor at nap time though after an hour of playing. Oh well, at least she's not crying.
Easton is getting so big! He has such a cute little face. Can't wait to see it in person.
Post a Comment