Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fun Run

Last Saturday we participated in a 4 mile Fun Run for “Fix-a-Leak Week.” Since David works for a water company, they had a booth set up and encouraged employees to participate. So we got up bright and early and headed out to a recreation area in Peoria, which isn’t too far away from us.

Here we are with Wayne Drop (the mascot from David’s work).100_3749

We are ghetto and do not have a jogging stroller. (They are expensive, and I would much rather run without having to push a baby). I would like one at some point, but it’s just not a priority right now. I do run pushing the stroller sometimes, but not that often. This route also had more hills than I am used to. Add the 20+ pound baby, the 20+ pound stroller, trying to run a little faster because it’s a competition, more hills than I’m used to, and it equals one really worn out mommy after the race. I thought I was making pretty good time until I got to the finish line and saw my final time. Not so good as I used to be. It was a little bit of a bummer when they were giving out medals afterward, because if I had not had a birthday two months ago, I would have been in a different bracket, and would have a got a second place medal. In my “new” age bracket I was nowhere near placing. Hmm…you’d think as you get older, that it would get easier to medal, not harder.

100_3750

You can tell this picture was taken AFTER the race. :) Shayla sporting her BYU gear for the game that night.

100_3752

Here we are with the race mascot—the Toilet. That’s right folks.

 

100_3755 We spent a few minutes playing at the park afterwards. Shayla loved it.

We had a fun morning. We always say we would like to get out and do more of these types of events (even though we never do).  It keeps us more motivated to run (which for me means getting up early-yuck). Plus we want our children to learn to enjoy the outdoors and being active. You also come away with a bunch of free stuff like a chip clip, 3 reusable grocery bags, water leak testers, 2 water bottles, and water conservation tips. Good stuff. :)

No comments: